Pages

Tuesday, November 05, 2013

And we make progress..

I don't know about others, but for me finding motivation within myself is quite difficult. Sometimes I do. Like the day Koushik was born, and he was in NICU, I cried. And then the physiotherapist walked in and told me of exercises to do, and then I began to practice them, so when the baby came along, I would have the strength to feed him. And then here I stand at the end of my maternity leave, I would have given up or relaxed on my plans of exclusive breastfeeding, but for my friend.

I got a one month extension for maternity leave. And then when baby is 4 months old, in December , I have to get back to work. For my first son, I managed to get leave with and without pay for 6 months. but now I just have to get back. I have a friend and former colleague. I know she managed to exclusively breastfeed her baby for 2 months after joining full time work. And so I told myself , if she can do it, I can too. She was actually getting back from divorce at that time, and tough as that might have been, she didn't find that a reason, to no do the best for her baby. I always tell her, she is a very good mom.

And please don't get me wrong. As a mother of two, I have learnt not to judge other mothers. we do the best in our given scenarios, and if you choose to supplement your baby's feed, you probably have a reason. The pediatrician for my elder son was so adamant that I must exclusively breastfeed my baby for the first six months, and I have seen Sanjay get a terrible cough, when I tried giving him cow's milk when he was 5 months old, fearing I may not get a leave extension - that I will try my best to exclusively breastfeed this baby till he is at least 5 and a half months old. That's the plan for now.

So I get back to work on Dec 2. I am excited about it, but I am sure I will miss the little fellow. but he is in good hands, so I wouldn't need to worry.

and why do I say all this, so some mother looking for motivation finds this a little useful. :)

No comments: