Well..i say everything....Let me give you some examples:
- My periamma, whose actual name is saavithri,is affectionately called chaakku (which means gunny bag in tamil..)
- My cousin, who has the wonderful name Kothandaraman, is affectionately called dhandam ( meaning waste/useless in tamil)
- My other cousin who beacme a hindu purohit is called kudumi ( meaning pony tail.....)
- Athimber, which is how sister's husband or aunt's husband is adressed is affectionately shortened to thamba(there is not such word in tamil.....)
- The boy who was once rolly-polly and oh-so-cute was called bujji.....he grows up to look like sylvester stallone...imagine one day bujji's boss calls home only to hear his mom call him "bujji, call for you"
There was even an article in Hindu on the same topic.....on how names affect children and people in general.....
My mom wanted to name me "sundara kamakshi"....I am glad she didn't....